Monday 29 July 2013

Pain

Pain was the first thing I experienced when I broke my leg and since I have experienced a lot of different types of pain. Some days you experience pain so bad you cannot describe and others your bored out of your mind, thinking what is worse the pain or boredom? 
I have now had my ex-fix for over 18 weeks and as the weeks have gone by I have felt physically and emotionally tested. 
You go from experiencing one thing to the next or some days all at once. The pain, stress, anxiety, lack of independence, boredom & generally feeling not myself at all, all were challenges I needed to deal with and still do, however I do believe it will be all worth it in the end. 

Pain is different for everyone but I think we can all agree on some level that bone pain is one of the worst types of pain. 

Once the ambulance arrived at the students union I was given 'gas & air' which took the edge off but the pain was still physically draining.  When I was admitted in A&E I was given IV Morphine and Propofol so the plaster cast could be applied. During this time two of my friends were present and from what they have told me after I had been administrated my medication I was making some funny remarks which had the A&E staff in stitches. 

During my time in hospital I was prescribed good old paracetamol which worked a treat along side the codeine and morphine. I'm not sure I would have been able to do anything without the pain relief  I was receiving at the time. I remember the morning after my surgery I could hardly move in the hospital bed, I remember really needing to use the toilet but didn't as I was too scared to move for the pain I would feel and then out of no where came the physiotherapists who seemed to have no empathy at all. They got me sitting on the edge of my bed which doesn't sound much but the pain and heaviness I felt in my leg and foot was unbelievable, I then tried to stand. It was the most difficult task I had ever done, the most painful & the most upsetting. Once I had managed to stand up they tried to get me to walk and weight bare on my leg as much as possible at which point I was screaming in tremendous amounts of pain. The ANP (advanced nurse practitioner) came running into my room and told the physio's to stop and to get me back on the bed with my leg elevated. She then re-prescribed my medication at doubled the strength. 

Once I returned home I continued taking regular analgesia and have now since reduced this as the pain has eased significantly.  



But with the progress of bone healing comes new experiences and challenges. 


No comments:

Post a Comment