Tuesday 13 August 2013

Out & About

Hello everyone!

Sorry it's been a little while since my last post, I have been really busy! But busy in a good way. :') Which got me thinking back to how restricted to the house I was not too long ago. For those of you with experience of an ex-fix I am sure this will all be familiar to you too.

The first time leaving the house with an ex-fix on is one of the most scary but exciting things I have experienced. To be able to get out of that one room you have been stuck in for so long and to feel the fresh air on your face is one of the best feelings ever. My dad organised a wheelchair with a panel to elevate my leg from the Red Cross, who were extremely helpful & kind. Without this I wouldn't have been able to get out & about as much as I did! That wheelchair has been everywhere!

My favourite place to go while I had to use a wheelchair was the Metro Centre in Gateshead. Probably because I love the place anyway as it is full of shops & nice places to eat out! But it is a really good place for wheelchairs & access is really easy.



Another favourite place of mine is Northumberland's coastal villages & beaches, which isn't ideal when you have an ex-fix! Imagine the sand & those pin sites! Not ideal. However I did still manage to visit these beautiful places while I had my ex-fix, we just had to do things slightly differently.

Here I am at Beadnell Bay harbor, Northumberland. I love the beach here! I would usually be walking my doggy Reggie along the beach but I made the best of the day by enjoying the view from the harbor instead where I wouldn't usually spend as much time.





After a little while we traveled up to the next harbor, Sea Houses. We managed to get a good spot to sit & eat our fish & chips! This was the view in the picture below. 





After a while of having my ex-fix I was able to sit in the front of the car without my foot swelling like it would have done in the beginning when I needed to lie across the back seats so that my leg could be elevated. I started with short journeys then this increased with the progress of my leg.



It's great to get out of the house when you have an ex-fix but things are never as easy as you think. The simple things become the hardest, like needing to use a public toilet. That's sometimes more of a challenge than you may think!

Just over a week ago I had to get a train from Durham to Manchester with changes. I was using a wheelchair for this as I had just had my ex-fix removed and I am currently not allowed to put more than half my body weights worth of weight through my leg. I am therefore using two crutches at all times but I would have been unable to get on and off the trains! 

Here I am in Manchester waiting for the train back home. I found this very amusing! The disabled access service provided by the train companies was exceptional though. 


I traveled to Manchester with my dad as we were attending the Manchester International Tattoo Show, which was brilliant! 

Below is a picture of me in my fancy wheelchair :') with Sallie Axl at the tattoo show, who some of you may know from this years big brother. 


Although days out are great you cant always manage to get out and about so as I become more able whenever the sunshine was out I made sure I enjoyed it by sitting in my back garden. 






Hope this was an interesting read! 



Let me know what you think?

Have you got a favourite place to go to?



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what happened to the fixator hardware? I need one for a project of mine and stumbled upon this blog, looking for one. Do you still have it?

    ReplyDelete