Wednesday 24 July 2013

The Unexpected...

It all started by getting ready for a night out at the students union completely unaware I would end up in the accident and emergency department that night to be told I needed to have emergency surgery.

The surgeon explained three types of treatment I could have, 1. plaster cast, 2. internal metal plates and wires which would remain in place for the rest of my life, 3. external-fixation. The surgeon and consultant explained that they recommended the external-fixation for best recovery. I therefore opted for this treatment not knowing the pain and suffering it would cause.  

I was informed following my x-ray I had sustained a fracture to my tibia and fibula and I would require three pins at the top of my tibia and fibula, just under my knee and this would be in place for approximately five to six weeks. When I came round from my surgery I was shocked to see I had a much larger fixator in place, from under my knee to my ankle including three pins and eight wires.

 Anyone who has experienced a broken / fractured bone / external-fixation will know you cannot describe the pain.  'bone pain' is a unique type of pain. 


After the surgery the surgeon came to explain to me that during theatre with the use of technology they identified that I had not only fractured my tibia and fibula I had sustained a spiral fracture which means the fracture went from the top of my tibia down to my ankle. This was why I needed to have a larger external-fixator in place. With this was bad news as this type of fixator would need to be in place for sixteen to twenty weeks. 

I sustained this injury by slipping over on a wet dance floor and was informed that this type of injury is most commonly associated with high impact injury's such as; motorbike accidents and football injury's. 





2 comments:

  1. That stinks that you wound up with such a serious injury over such a small fall. I wish you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey :') thanks for checking out my blog & for the comment! Thank you, my leg has gotten much better & I even have my ex-fix removed just rehabilitation for a while now.

      Love ♡
      Rach xxx

      Delete