Monday 5 August 2013

The un-itchable itch

I have lost count of the restless nights & irritable days that the ex-fix causes. One thing that is most annoying besides pain is the itchiness caused by the wires & pins. As healing makes progress the itchiness seems to get worse! Especially around the bottom wires of my ex-fix.




The above image is one of my top row of bottom wires that has become increasingly irritable. The skin that surrounds these wires is very tight & this causes redness & sore skin. The wire is not infected.


                                   

This image is of the bottom row of wires just above my foot. As you can see the skin that surrounds the wire is red, tight, sore & is pushed up around the wire this is known as 'tenting'. If you look at the top wire in the picture you can see there is a washer, this applies pressure to the skin once the foam dressing is applied & should prevent 'tenting'. 



                                   

These are the top three pins just below my knee. This picture was taken at 19 weeks as you can see the skin around the pin sites has healed well. There is some 'crust' present around the pin & it is important that this is removed when the sites are due to be cleaned. This is to prevent the skin from growing up the pin. 

                                       

Here you can see all three pin sites. These pins haven't been as bad as the wires for itchiness & irritation but as the weeks have gone by they have become more irritable. 

Since having my ex-fix removed the itchiness has increasingly become worse. I can only imagine this is due to the wounds & skin healing. 


I thought once having my ex-fixed removed I would have the best nights sleep! However I have yet to have a good nights sleep. I have gotten so used to making myself comfortable with my ex-fix now without it, it actually seems wired!  

As my leg is still recovering & is still painful at times I think I will have a good nights sleep once it is fully recovered! I will keep you posted! 
:') 


What do you think?
Whats your experience of having an ex-fix?

No comments:

Post a Comment