Saturday 3 August 2013

Interviews


As you may know I am a nursing student in my third year & I was due to graduate in September, however the accident has delayed my graduation. Luckily it's looking like I will only need to move back a module meaning I can graduate in January 2014. 

I have attended three job interviews since having my ex-fix & they have all gone well:') I attended one in Stoke-on-Trent while I had my ex-fix in place & was using my wheelchair & crutches at the time. My second interview was closer to home in Durham & I attended this interview when I was much more mobile & only using one crutch. I had my third interview on Monday after my ex-fix had been removed but still using both crutches as I can only partial weight bare. 



I thought it maybe useful to include this post as it is important to carry on with your normal life as much as possible while having an ex-fix. 


Interview tips 

I always think it is important to look clean, smart & professional. 

I always tie my hair back. For these interviews I used a hair doughnut, £1 from Primark to easily tie my hair up into a professional looking bun. I oped to use this as I am not brilliant at styling my hair but found this really easy & quick to use. 

Here's a link for how to apply a hair doughnut;

I always wear a little amount of make-up, after all its not a night out. I like to apply a lot of moisturiser & primer before applying a small amount of 'natural' looking foundation. For these interviews I used Revlon's 'Nearly Naked' foundation as I find it very light to wear & it gives a natural appearance. 
For a bit of blush I used Revlon's blush 'baby stick' in light pink, again going for the most natural look.
I usually pencil in my eyebrows but only did them very lightly for the interviews as I didn't want them to appear over powering. For this I used Rimmel London's professional eyebrow pencil in light brown. 
I applied a small amount of mascara using Boots No7 'lash adapt' mascara.
& finally for my lips I simply applied tinted lip moisturiser by Nivea. 



For interviews I usually wear a suit or formal dress, as my ex-fix kind of gets in the way with everyday clothes I went out & especially purchased a new suit dress that didn't break the bank! I luckily found my dress quickly by searching a few internet sites & found the perfect one in Tesco's F&F clothing range at £16. 



Now shoes that maybe the most awkward one depending on what type of ex-fix you have. For me shoes were very awkward as my foot was swollen a lot of the time from the ex-fix & with having the lower wires in place just above my foot & ankle it made it very difficult to get shoes to fit. This is why most of the time you see me wearing crocs! (Not the real croc's I may add). 


For two of the interviews I managed to wear some black dolly shoes from Primark that were only £4. I did have to buy two sizes though to get them to fit! 


I always take a formal looking bag along to the interview to carry my portfolios, proof of ID & qualifications.  Again this bag is from Primark & was about £10's. 


 I couldn't always manage to carry this myself when using crutches, so my dad who took me to the interviews had to carry it for me! Bless him! 

Finally I always try to read up a bit about the job I am being interviewed for, take note of what is current in the news in relation to your area of work, have some questions you can ask at the end of the interview, be confident & go in with a smile! 

I hope this post helps & was an interesting read! 

Let me know what you think?
Have you got some interview tips?
Have you been to an interview while having an ex-fix in place?

No comments:

Post a Comment