Monday 23 September 2013

Back to normal?

Sorry it's been a while since my last post, I have been really busy with university work, getting back to normal & raising money for the Diabetes UK Big Collection Weekend next month. This has all been a challenge with my leg situation! Even though it is now eight weeks since I had my ex-fix removed it is still a long haul until I am fully back to normal.

The professor told me at my last appointment that the tibia usually carries 60% of the body weight however as I have recently had fractures and the ex-fix removed mine is currently only 15% and is at risk of re-fracturing if I was to fall over. I was also informed not to carry any weight or to continue with the use of the treadmill at the gym. This was because of the risk of re-fracturing or damaging the bones. I have been told my leg should be back to normal by December this year, so fingers crossed!

I moved back to Stoke on Friday and have started back at university today! I can honestly say I do not know where the time has gone since breaking my leg! Although it has been a long and painful process it has still flown over! So if you have an ex-fix, I can say there is light at the end of the tunnel!

I am still using crutches now and then, mostly when I am out and about for balance. I am no longer using them around the house or shall I say flat now that I am moved into my new home! I am really looking forward to getting my life back on track now that I am getting my confidence back. I have my occupational health appointment tomorrow and after that I should hopefully be able to get back to my university hospital ward placement! 

Another little treat is being able to wear my jeans again! It is definitely the small things we take for granted! 


No comments:

Post a Comment